Saturday, September 11, 2010

Glass water bottles

Ok, so as I mentioned in the previous post of Tuesdays with MarMe, I went on a "get rid of all things plastic" rampage in my kitchen.

As I always do, I start any new trend with the littlest ones in the home and then work my way up to the grown ups.

It's cheaper that way. Trust me. (I'll explain later.)


I sent the McKids to school this week with glass bottles.

Out with the plastic in the with glass!

Recycled ones.

Noooo... I didn't get them from the garbage. All I did was buy two (actually three, in case of a mishap) items in glass bottles that I felt were heavy weight and sturdy enough to survive a couple bumps in a lunch bag.

Ok, SEVERAL bumps and bangs in a kindergartner's and two third grader's lunch bags.

Brave and daring mom aren't I.

Glass Water Bottles

Back to what I was saying. I got the bottles and emptied them, took the labels off and washed them.... Grandma and I drank Iced tea out of the two with the red caps... and the milk bottle looking one was a bottle of salad dressing that had finished that we washed and saved in a cabinet. It's been there for a few months waiting for a second life.

The two with the red caps belong to the girls and little man got the heavy duty "milk bottle" one. It's very solid and weighty so I figured it could handle a little rough handling better than the lighter Iced tea bottles. (By the way, the Iced Tea was organic and quite refreshing. Next time I post about the glass bottle chronicles I'll post a picture of the bottles in their original states... labels and all. ;-)) 

The bottles have been a hit with the kids. The water stay's cooler and fresher longer... well at least until backwash hits them. EEeeeuuuurrgghh!!
Hey, just keeping it real... they're kids.

I love the fact that I don't have to worry about their water as much now.

The funny thing is that now I walk around the grocery store looking at drinks and other food items in glass bottles thinking....
       "...hummmnn, I wonder if this would be a good drinking bottle??"

Oh and it hit me on Thursday that if after a week of going back and forth to school with them I feel the bottles aren't as clean as I'd like, I can STERILIZE them!! (Angels singing)
(the girls wash their own dishes..... yes Mam, they do.... I ain'ts no one's maid.)

(Boy did that thought bring back some memories of exhausting long nights sterilizing baby bottles.)

Whichever way, my world is a little bit happier now. Not only am I recycling but I'm also keeping my babies a little healthier. (((((Aaaaah))))) "I'm good."

Yep. I'm loving the glass.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your comments make me happy! So please, if you want to help make my day a little brighter...leave a little "love" note for me. ;-)